Seeking something to do at home during this time of off-campus instruction? Check out these options below!
We at South Georgia State College recognize that many students' plans to get involved with their peers and community were cut short due to the precautionary measures taken to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus. As such, we aim to work with other faculty, staff, and students long-distance to provide programs and events virtually. Join our Facebook group to participate in a series of virtual programs this semester, or follow our Youtube channel if you just want to stay up-to-date on the content posted. On these pages, we will provide programs such as trivia quizzes, movie watch parties and discussions, "How To" videos for hobbies and skills, and more! Participating in these activities and page discussions can help you remain connected to your peers during this time.
Virtual Museum Tours
While you may not be making the trip to a museum in-person any time soon, that doesn't mean you have to miss out completely! Many museums offer virtual tours or online exhibits that you can navigate from the comfort of your own home. Check out some of the ones available below!
- The British Museum, United Kingdom
- The Louvre, France
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, USA
- National Gallery of Art, USA
- The National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea
- Tokyo Fuji Art Museum, Japan
- Uffizi Gallery, Italy
- Van Gogh Museum, Netherlands
The World . . . And Beyond!
Museums not your thing? What about the great outdoors -- safely viewed from indoors!
- England (360 View)
- The Great Wall of China
- Pompeii (And So Many Other Places Using Google Maps!)
- Yellowstone National Park
- Kenai Fjords (Alaska), Hawai'i Volcanoes (Hawai'i), Carlsbad Caverns (New Mexico), Bryce Canyon (Utah), Dry Tortugas (Florida)
Live Animal Cams
From the cute and cuddly to the scaly and slimy, these live webcams have got you covered!
- Explore Live Cams
- Georgia Aquarium
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- San Diego Zoo
- Smithsonian's National Zoo & Conservation Biology Institute
- Zoo Atlanta (Panda Cam)
- See what some of our Hawks have worked on with this African American exhibit, handily created as an e-book!
- Jam out to Rita Wilson's Quarantunes Spotify Playlist, or create a collaborative playlist with friends!
- Use the Chrome extension Netflix Party to host a watch party with your friends!
- Check out live performances from the Seattle Symphony.
- Catch a live stream of an opera from the Vienna State Opera!
- The online academic resource JSTOR has made a large selection of ebooks and journals free without need for an online login.
- Both the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C. and the International Cherry Blossom Festival in Macon, GA have gone virtual! Check out concerts, ceremonies, and traditions streamed live!
- Listen to some free podcasts such as Stuff You Missed in History Class, American Scandal, and Dirty John! Explore available podcasts for even more options!
- Take up a new hobby! Finish that game you've put off! Write that novel you haven't had time for! Get lost in an audiobook! This is YOUR time, so make it shine!
Want to Host a Virtual Student Club Meeting? Here are Some Tips!
- Discord, Facebook Messenger, and Zoom are fantastic free apps for hosting virtual meetings with your members!
- Test out your software and setup beforehand to make sure everything works properly!
- Ensure members are made aware of meeting times and software in advance to reduce confusion. This gives everyone time to prepare their setups or find alternate ways to connect.
- Create and distribute a meeting agenda beforehand so that all members are aware of discussion topics and can properly prepare beforehand.
- Have one member take notes to record discussion points and decisions throughout the meeting, and then they can share those notes with all members after the meeting is over.
- Encourage participants to video call instead of audio. This way participants feel more connected and engaged during the meeting.
- Share documents and files through an easily-accessible system such as Google Docs, Google Sheets, Slack, or other project management programs.
- Make sure to facilitate discussion among participants. Ask open-ended questions so that members feel free to share their input can best contribute to the discussion.
- Prepare a fun or educational activity to engage members during the meeting.