Effective Fall 2011, all applicants who are accepted for admission or readmission to South Georgia State College, and who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes, will be required to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States.
South Georgia State College will do all we can to verify a student's citizenship or lawful immigration status without causing additional stress or paperwork.
Students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) have their citizenship status checked by the US government. If you have your FAFSA sent to South Georgia State College we can use that to verify your status.
If your FAFSA is not yet on file at South Georgia State College, or if you choose not to complete the FAFSA, you will be responsible for verifying your lawful presence based on documentation. By submitting proof of lawful presence to South Georgia State College Office of Admissions, you may ensure your tuition status accurately reflects your standing.
To verify Lawful Presence, submit one of the following documents:
- Current Georgia driver’s license issued by the state of Georgia (cannot be limited term or paper copies)
- Current Georgia State ID Card issued by the state of Georgia
- Current U.S. passport
- * Certified U.S. birth certificate (must be submitted in person)
- Permanent Resident Card (front and back copy)
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
- U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad
- * Military ID (must be verified in person)
* You may not submit copies of these documents.
If you have questions about the verification process or concerns about the ability to provide documentation, contact the Registrar's Office at 912.260.4200 or submit a Hawk Helper ticket as soon as possible.