South Georgia State College
Office of Financial Aid
Financial Aid Checklist
Priority Deadlines: Fall - May 15 Spring – October 21 Maymester/Summer – March 02
- Apply for your FSA User Name & Password (Formally known as PIN). Your FSA User Name can be used each year to electronically apply for federal student aid and to access your Federal Student Aid records online. You may have to update your password prior to use. Apply online at www.pin.ed.gov. The FSA ID replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN on May 10, 2015. If you haven’t logged in to a Federal Student Aid site (such as fafsa.gov or StudentLoans.gov) since May 10, 2015, you will need to create an FSA ID before you can log on in the future. If you already have a PIN, you can link your information to your new FSA ID by entering your PIN while registering for your FSA ID. (This will save you time when registering for your FSA ID.) If you’ve forgotten your PIN, don’t worry; you can either enter the answer to your PIN “challenge question” during the FSA ID registration process to link your PIN.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is the application that allows the Department of Education and Financial Aid Professionals to determine your financial aid eligibility. This application determines your eligibility for grants, scholarships, loans, and more. It is strongly recommended that you use the automated IRS Data retrieval tool, “DRT” that allows you to transfer your tax information as you complete the FAFSA. This could save you time and make the process smoother. The DRT option is usually available within 3 weeks of filing your (your parents) Tax returns. Complete your FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Be sure to send your FAFSA to SGSC by adding our school code: 001592. It can take SGSC 2-3 days to receive your FAFSA information.
- Check your Self-Service Banner and student e-mail regularly. You will be notified if any changes are made to your financial aid account and if you have any outstanding requirements.
- Submit documents. When you complete your FAFSA, the Department of Education will determine if more documents are needed in a process called “verification”. SGSC has partnered with the School Servicing Center (SSC) to streamline and expedite the verification process for our students. The documents they may request include verification forms, tax return transcripts, etc. To determine if you need to submit more documents, check your Self-Service Banner and your student email account regularly. Please note we will not be able to award you Financial Aid until all requested documents have been received and reviewed.
Consider Stafford Loans. There are three steps to apply for a Stafford Loan:
- Accept the loan award on Self-Service Banner. You may accept the total loan awarded, deny the loan award or adjust it to a reduced amount, whatever you decide.
- Use your FSA User ID & Password to complete Entrance Counseling online at www.studentloans.gov.
- At the same website, complete your Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- Register for class and check your balance. Once you register for classes, a balance will be created. You can check your balance in Self-Service Banner.
- Pay your bill. If your bill is not paid by the published fee payment deadlines, your courses will be dropped for non-payment. For information about making a payment or starting a payment plan, you may contact the Cashier’s Office at 912.260.4243.
- Go to Class! If you do not attend class, you will not receive financial aid. Be sure to keep regular attendance in all your classes because you could be dropped for non-attendance, which can affect your future eligibility for financial aid. For more information, read the SAP policy (Standards of Academic Progress) on our financial aid website.
Office of Financial Aid: http://www.sgsc.edu/current-students/welcome_finaid.cms
FSA User ID & Password: www.pin.ed.gov
MPN & Loan Entrance Counseling: www.studentloans.gov
School Servicing Center – Verification Completion: www.SSCwp.org
NelNet Payment Plan: https://signup.mypaymentplan.com/signup/T1pp?coll=sgc
Self-Service Banner Help:
SGSC Office of Financial Aid, Engram Hall
100 West College Park Drive Douglas, GA 31533
Phone: (912)260-4282 Fax: (912) 260-4455